- Posted by MG UG
- On January 2, 2020
- 0 Comments
Government of Manitoba
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
An eligibility list may be created to fill similar positions throughout the Province of Manitoba and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be a member of, or eligible for membership with, the Manitoba Institute of Agrologists (MIA) with a Professional Agrologist designation
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with the ability to travel throughout Manitoba
- Must be able to work for extended hours when required
- Must be able to work in an outdoor environment in both winter and summer in extreme temperatures, work at heights of up to 10 meters, and lift and carry up to 45 kg as required
- A satisfactory criminal record check
- Post-secondary degree in Agriculture, Geography, Environmental Sciences or related discipline required. Other acceptable combinations of post-secondary education in a related discipline and experience may be considered
- Experience in agricultural meteorology, soil and landscape management practices, computer modeling and ArcGIS geospatial software
- Experience working with weather stations and weather monitoring networks
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret technical data
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience in program planning, development, implementation and evaluation
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to prepare clear and concise technical reports
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical information
- Proven experience with computer languages like Java, Python, C++, PHP
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
The Agricultural Meteorology Specialist is the provincial specialist responsible for leading and supporting strategies and activities that enhance the economic development of a viable and sustainable crop and livestock industry with increasing weather variability and climate change. The position provides leadership and expertise in the planning, implementation, data quality and control of over one hundred weather stations that enable real-time decision-making for producers and stakeholders. This position provides leadership and expertise in the development, coordination and evaluation of programs, technologies, and policies dealing with integrated weather networks and data sharing for plant and animal management programs, emergency preparedness, and includes the identification and assessment of new opportunities for partnerships.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.gov.mb.ca.