- Posted by MG UG
- On August 11, 2019
- 0 Comments
Canadian Red Cross
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking two Coordinators, Indigenous Community, Disaster Risk Reduction.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Disaster Management (DM), Manitoba and Nunavut, this position acts as a community connector to all programs within CRC with a strong focus on Disaster Management and facilitating Disaster Risk Reduction activities to promote resilience building. This position is responsible for ensuring a community development / community resiliency approach to create and support networks and relationships in communities to enhance CRC programs and services.
You will enjoy:
Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Flexibility: alternative work arrangements and paid time off for those “life happens moments.”
Employee Benefits: comprehensive health and dental plan, pension plan with matching contributions and competitive vacation entitlements.
Meaningful Work: the opportunity to grow and learn through meaningful work at one of Canada’s largest non-profit organizations.
Who you are:
- You are a Relationship builder – you will develop relationships with both internal and external stakeholders including working within Indigenous communities.
- You are adaptive – you are able to navigate the unexpected, respond to changing needs and apply lessons learned.
- You are a strong communicator – you are able to adapt your communication style to work collaboratively with all levels of an organization and stakeholders.
- You understand disaster management, risk assessment and the importance of preparedness.
In this role you will:
- Contribute towards the development, piloting and roll-out of CRC preparedness materials and activities.
- Promote personal preparedness education within Indigenous communities including workshops, learning session and communication events.
- Coordinate planning meetings with the community to support their assessment of community risks and hazards and mapping of community assets and resources.
- Liaise with community and municipal contacts to promote community preparedness, emergency planning and response in the designated area.
- Host community network meetings and generates opportunities that will enable participating communities to share resources and enhance community plans including emergency response and evacuation plans.
We’re looking for:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability in developing positive external relationships and working in collaboration with Indigenous communities and/or agencies to achieve shared goals
- Ability in writing reports that are easily understood and include clear recommendations for action
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Standard/Emergency First Aid Certification or willingness to complete training
- Valid Provincial Class 5 driver’s license
- Fluency in an Indigenous language is an asset
- Facilitation skills for a broad range of audiences using interactive techniques and building on adult learning would be an asset
- Knowledge of Red Cross Disaster Services programs and standards would be an asset
- Experience working with a diverse population is an asset
- May be required to work non-tradition hours, be on call and respond to emergency/disaster related requests
- Work-related travel is a regular requirement of the job including into remote communities during all seasons
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check, a vulnerable sector check, and a satisfactory driver’s abstract. Please note that there is no relocation package for this position.
The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We kindly ask not to send in duplicate copies of your resume. No phone calls please
To apply to this position, Click here
To apply for this job please visit www.redcross.ca.