- Posted by MG UG
- On April 24, 2019
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg
Under the general direction of the Senior Data Scientist, the Data Scientist is responsible for data analysis of data within context of innovation projects at the City of Winnipeg. These projects scale from requiring large-scale, structured, and careful analysis and correlation of multiple large datasets down to short ad-hoc analysis for obvious insights into small data sets.
The Data Scientist derives actionable insights from innovation related data sets including asset and performance data, operational and financial data, and other data sources to identify trends, operational improvements and efficiencies, and support capital and operating business case development, prioritization and investment.
The Data Scientist works in collaboration with the Enterprise Transformation Office, Innovation, Transformation & Technology Department, and with other related services throughout the organization to develop, aggregate, maintain, and integrate new data sources; develop, integrate, and support the use of ideal visualization, analytics, reporting tools and mediums; to support ongoing operations and planning, innovation and efficiencies, performance reporting, and evidence-based decision-making.
As the Data Scientist you will:
- Provide cross-departmental data analysis and reporting.
- Lead the development, implementation, and integration of new and existing data sources, applications and reporting mediums.
- Provide asset, performance, operational, management related data and analysis.
Research best practices and keeps up to date on new technologies and data initiatives.
- Provide information and analysis related to City operations.
- Perform other related duties.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree (i.e. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering or related field) or an approved equivalent combination of education and experience. An advanced degree is preferred and may be substituted, on a year for year basis, for all but two years of required experience.
- Four (4) years of progressive experience in advanced data analytics, and interpretation of data and statistical modelling using R, Python, SQL, SAS, SPSS, and/or other equivalent tools.
- A consistent track record of informing and realizing efficiencies and improvement through innovation and project delivery.
- Proficient in the use of and experience with Github or other similar repositories and the integration of open-source programming and tools to meet a given need.
- Ability and experience with databases, ETL, and data warehousing including organizing, compiling, manipulating, analyzing and summarizing large datasets.
- Proficient in the use of and experience with GIS (Geographic Information System) / GLI (Geospatial and Location Intelligence), cartography and mapping, and business intelligence tools/platforms such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Demonstrated ability in data collection, writing summaries, and visualizing data.
- Able to conduct research, analyze complex issues and make recommendations based on sound judgement.
- Applied knowledge of machine learning including supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, pattern recognition, artificial neural networks, and deep learning.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills, together with an ability to take initiative, multi-task and work under time constraints
- Excellent oral and written ability to communicate effectively with other professionals and all levels within the organization, and the ability to present research findings effectively to varying audiences.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively, and professionally with fellow employees at all levels, consultants and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and manage effective partnerships and agreements with a wide variety of community/business groups, agencies, associations and civic departments.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access);
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Illustrator (or equivalent) is an asset.
Conditions of employment:
- Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License.
- A Police background check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check, please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.ca.