- Posted by MG UG
- On February 20, 2019
- 0 Comments
Website Manitoba Hydro International
Manitoba Hydro Telecom (MHT) is a business unit of Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. (MHI) and, in conjunction with Manitoba Hydro Telecommunications Department, operates as a non-dominant carrier in Manitoba delivering broadband communications networks in Manitoba.
Under the consultative direction of the Fibre Plant and Facilities Manager, the Fibre Plant and Facilities Officer will perform diversified tasks pertaining to project management, planning, design, procurement, obtaining easements and permits, cable installation, inside and outside plant construction and restoration, and operation and maintenance of Manitoba Hydro Telecom’s commercial fiber optic network.
- Design and develop optical and metallic cable solutions to meet customer requirements working closely with customers, stakeholders and suppliers.
- Provide project leadership in the implementation of new fibre optic cable solutions as well as modifications to existing MHT systems. Select the solution and related products needed to meet customer requirements.
- Create tender documents and manage the tender process to select vendors for services and/or material.
- Prepare solution cost estimates
- Prepare and send written requests for access to Manitoba Hydro owned fibre strands and comply with any conditions under which the fibres are released for MHT usage.
- Prepare easement or access requests and related drawings or sketches needed to accompany such requests.
- Provide technical guidance for existing and prospective clients as well as sales staff, stakeholders and suppliers needed to convey technical information for a detailed design, implementation, on‐going enhancement and support of Manitoba Hydro Telecom’s commercial data network.
- Provide technical support pertaining to the definition, assessment and periodic review of co‐location space requirements including pedestals and equipment shelters.
- Participate in the preparation of capital forecasts and recommend priorities based upon sound technical and economic analysis.
- Support day to day operation of the commercial data network in cooperation with Manitoba Hydro’s Communications Department field support staff and MHT’s technical operations team.
- Support the coordination of customer outages as required to implement network changes.
- Ensure that engineering and maintenance records are up-to-date.
Principal Duties are intended to be an accurate reflection of the main duties essential for this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, tasks and responsibilities.
An Engineering Degree with P.Eng. designation OR a Two year diploma in Electronic or Computer Technology from a recognized institute and additional technical or business administration courses, plus a minimum of seven years relevant experience designing, constructing and implementing telecommunications cable systems. Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge and understanding of an electrical utility’s optical telecommunication systems and related processes.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, plan, organize and complete projects using project management principles to identify and secure material and labour resources, and direct the work of others.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in the design, implementation, operation, maintenance, and problem resolution.
- Demonstrated experience with utility drawings, schematics, and data bases as well as the Smallworld GIS.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in developing and installing fibre optic cable systems.
- Good knowledge of MHI and MH policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial procedures would be an significant asset.
- Ability to make independent decisions to ensure successful completion of projects while also meeting customer and stakeholder expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage technical staff, handle a heavy workload and provide quality leadership and direction.
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Willing to work extended and non‐standard hours and to travel outside the headquarter zone for varying periods of time, occasionally exceeding one week.
- Valid passport and Manitoba Drivers’ License.
- Must obtain and maintain a current Personnel Risk Assessment and a clear security rating.
Your Career at MHI:
- Business experience including opportunities to communicate directly with clients.
- Coaching and on the job training you can use to excel in your career.
- Being able to give back through global corporate initiatives.
- Task variety – no day is ever the same.
- Being given a high level of responsibility and autonomy for your own work.
- Competitive salaries.
- Every second Monday off.
- Flex time options.
- Enjoy working in a friendly and relaxedcorporate culture.
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd.
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. (MHI) provides innovative solutions to help customers in the energy and telecommunications sectors. We are a subsidiary of one of Canada’s most highly regarded energy utilities, Manitoba Hydro, and proudly bring over a century’s worth of utility best practice experience and our global expertise to every customer we serve.
As a strong and diversified centre of innovation, we operate right across the electricity market — from generation, through transmission and distribution, to the end user. For over 30 years, we have provided leading-edge services and products to our clients in over 120 countries around the world.
Our clients turn to us to overcome even the most complex challenges, and trust us to deliver results on time and on budget, from start to finish, and in some of the world’s most remote locations. Dedicated to providing the right solutions for all your energy and telecommunications needs, we recognize that working together is key for a project’s long-term success.
For more information, visit mhi.ca
Manitoba Hydro Telecom
Manitoba Hydro Telecom (MHT) is a facilities-based, carrier-class telecom service provider with a comprehensive network in Rural Manitoba and the Winnipeg Region. Manitoba Hydro owns and operates a fibre optic communications network installed to protect, monitor, and control the electricity system in Manitoba. This extensive broadband network, which includes thousands of kilometres of fibre optic cable, is equipped with next generation Ethernet technology; this enables MHT to provide organizations in Manitoba with scalable broadband capacity.
For more information, visit mht.mb.ca
Qualified candidates with a commitment to excellence and a desire to join a winning team are invited to apply to this expedited posting with a resume and cover letter by March 5th, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Job Type: Full-time
- designing and implementing telecommunications cable systems: 7 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
To apply for this job please visit Hydro.