- Posted by MG UG
- On April 8, 2018
- 0 Comments
Website Government of Manitoba
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Successful candidates will be responsible for undertaking operational aspects of the field surveillance components of the Provincial West Nile Virus (WNV) program and active surveillance for the tick-borne diseases program. The data collected for these programs is essential to the decision making process regarding WNV and tick-borne disease risk and response.
The Field Surveillance team Member will be located in one of two regions (Winnipeg & Brandon). Candidates should indicate their area of preference in their covering letter and/or resume.
Candidates will work Saturday – Wednesday, up to 40 hours weekly, occasional overtime may be necessary.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A current & satisfactory criminal records check including a vulnerable sector search (applicants are responsible for any service charges)
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence, or an acceptable equivalent
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position which requires moderate physical effort (e.g. Carrying equipment, such as sampling equipment and supplies, including Carbon Dioxide cylinders [60 pounds], for moderate distances potentially over rough terrain and in adverse weather conditions)
- Must be willing and able to travel to remote locations throughout the Province of Manitoba.
- Post secondary degree/diploma or proof of enrollment in Environmental Sciences, Biology, Geography or a relevant field from a recognized educational institution. An equivalent acceptable combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Experience working in a field setting performing field surveillance activities such as mapping, larval sampling and collection, and/or recording and relaying data
- The ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- Effective organization skills which include the ability to multi-task and work within a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a small team
- Effective verbal communication skills
- The ability to collect and maintain accurate records
- Experience with Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) software.
Duties include but are not limited to; mosquito larval sampling, adult mosquito trapping, tick sampling, data collection, GPS use and public outreach concerning the reduction of the risk of West Nile Virus (WNV) and tick-borne diseases.
Advertisement # 33916
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 0C4
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.gov.mb.ca.