- Posted by MG UG
- On June 11, 2019
- 0 Comments
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
Forestry Branch plans, manages and allocates forest and peatland resources for the long-term social, economic, and environmental benefit of Manitobans. Crown forests and peatlands are managed sustainability for all users; harvest and renewal activities are implemented in a manner that conserves ecosystem diversity. The Inventory and Analysis (IA) section utilizes the latest technology and scientific knowledge to support the Forestry Branch in managing Manitoba’s resources sustainably.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able and willing to travel on occasion throughout the Province of Manitoba including remote locations via trucks, all-terrain vehicles, boats, and by rotary or fixed wing aircraft
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required including overnight stays
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License
- Must be willing and able to upgrade skills as technology changes
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position which require moderate physical effort such as carrying equipment and forestry samples for long distances potentially over rough terrain and in adverse weather conditions
- Degree or diploma in Science or Geography and formal training in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), with related experience. An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience will also be considered.
- Extensive experience using ArcGIS desktop software for data analysis and management.
- Experience using ArcGIS Online to create web maps for use with Collector for ArcGIS and with Survey 123 Connect to build & edit data collection surveys
- Experience manipulating and analyzing raster datasets, including remote sensing classification
- Experience in data processing and analyzing complex spatial datasets and related tables
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment and with diverse groups
- Knowledge and experience working with datums and projections
- Experience creating traditional and digital map products
- Effective verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written communications skills for report and technical writing
- Supervisory experience including providing direction and training
- GIS Professional (GISP) certification
This GIS professional supervises Geographic Information System (GIS) technicians, assists the GIS database manager/programmer with ArcGIS Online (AGOL) applications such as Survey 123 and Collector for ArcGIS as well as duties related to processing and analyzing Provincial forest resources. By coordinating activities with GIS operators and undertaking data analyses/data conversion, the incumbent supports the data processing functions of the Forestry Branch’s GIS. The incumbent generates information products such as maps and reports, provides technical expertise and works at processing drone imagery, GPS and mobile application data as required.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org