- Posted by MG UG
- On August 23, 2019
- 0 Comments
Government of Manitoba
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Resource and Development Division of Growth, Enterprise and Trade (GET) facilitates sustainable development of the province’s mineral and petroleum resources. The Geological Services Branch conducts a wide range of investigations of exposed bedrock, subsurface materials, and surficial sediments including sand, gravel and organic deposits throughout Manitoba, as well as provides geoscience support for the regulatory framework and tenure systems managed by the Division.
The Division is seeking a GIS Geologist who will be working under the Geoscience Data Management Section responsible for the operation and maintenance of the software, GIS and data resources of the Division. This is a highly specialized role requiring a unique combination of geological background and geo-spatial database development experience. The successful candidate is responsible for providing technical expertise on the development, manipulation, maintenance, operation and safeguard of assigned geological data sources.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Post-secondary education in Geology or Earth Science
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS – ArcGIS and / or ArcGIS Pro) with emphasis on the application of geological principles to editing and manipulating geological datasets and/or creating maps and geological databases
- Experience in GIS programming including but not limited to Python, Visual Basic, Model Builder etc.
- Eligible for registration or registered with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba as a Geoscientist-in-Training (GIT) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.)
- Proficiency in cartography
- Experience in database design and administration including but not limited to MS Access, Personal SDE, Oracle etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office notably Excel and Word
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities within tight deadlines
- Written communication skills for preparing routine documents
- Verbal communication skills for articulating technical concepts into understandable terms
- Proficiency in Corel Graphic Suites or similar/equivalent software programs
- Ability to process and analyze geospatial raster data
The position develops, produces, updates and maintains accurate and relevant digital geoscientific maps and database products including GIS Map Gallery, iMaQs and ArcGIS Online. This is done by compiling, coding and converting existing data from various sources; developing and editing geological legend items and symbology; manipulating GIS data to resolve ambiguities; designing cartographic lay-outs; and producing geological maps as visual representations of data with precise and desired scaling. The role is also responsible for data maintenance, update, management and safeguarding of assigned data sources and documenting data standards and procedures.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.gov.mb.ca.