- Posted by MG UG
- On October 3, 2018
- 0 Comments
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
The Resource and Development Division facilitates sustainable development of the province’s mineral and petroleum resources. The Geological Survey Division conducts a wide range of investigations which include the examination of exposed bedrock, subsurface materials, and surficial sediments including sand, gravel and organic deposits throughout Manitoba. The Division provides data and products, such as geological maps and reports, metallic and industrial mineral deposit reports and databases, mineral resource assessments, targeted geoscience research, development of exploration models, and maintenance of data inventories. By developing an understanding of Manitoba’s geology and geological processes, the Geological Survey Division promotes mineral exploration opportunities and contributes to wise land-use management.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Post-secondary education in Science, Geology, Physical Geography, or Earth Sciences; a relevant combination of education and experience may be considered
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), including ArcGIS and/or ArcGIS Pro
- Experience with GIS programming/scripting, which may include Visual Basic, Python, and Model Builder
- Experience working with online spatial data distribution platforms (ex: ArcGIS Online / Geocortex)
- Knowledge of cartography and data representation
- Sound knowledge of geographic coordinate systems and geodetic datums
- Database design and administration knowledge, which may include MS Access, Personal SDE, Oracle
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple competing priorities within tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail to complete work with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong problem solving skills to troubleshoot issues and find innovative and creative solutions
- Good written communication skills to create reports for stakeholders with different professional backgrounds
- Good verbal communication skills to effectively present information to a wide audience
- Experience with Corel Graphics Suite or similar programs to edit vector/raster files
- Experience working with geophysical data and / or geospatial raster data
- Experience with computer hardware and software troubleshooting
This position is an integral part of the Geoscience Data Management Section and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), software and data resources of the Resources Development Branch. The incumbent is responsible for assigned GIS mapping projects and geospatial databases, both locally and online (including Map Gallery / ArcGIS Online) and provides departmental quality assurance, IT support and staff training. This role is also responsible for updates to the provincial geospatial databases using a variety of data sources and GIS mapping software.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.gov.mb.ca.