- Posted by MG UG
- On October 5, 2019
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg Parks Dept
Under the general direction of the Parks Investment Strategies Coordinator, the Parks Asset and Data Scientist (PADS) is responsible for large scale and targeted statistical, geographic, data analysis of parks and open space data within the Parks and Open Space Division. The position identifies opportunities for operational improvements and efficiencies and to information to support capital and operating business case development, prioritization and investment.
The PADS derives actionable insights from parks and open space related data by applying scientific hypotheses and modeling compiles data (unstructured, numeric and non-numeric) to guide operational decisions through the use of cognitive science, statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques. The Data Scientist serves as the Division’s technical subject matter expert on parks and open space data. Data sets include parks asset registry, tree asset registry, parks and open space inventory, insect control operational data, performance data, operational and financial data, and other data sources.
The PADS works in collaboration with the Park areas, Forestry, Insect Control and Naturalist Branches, Public Works Department, and with other related services throughout the organization to develop, aggregate, maintain, and integrate new data sources and develop, integrate, and support the use of ideal visualization, analytics, reporting tools and mediums.
As the Parks Asset and Data Scientist you will:
- Provide departmental data analysis and reporting
- Lead the development, implementation, and integration of new and existing data sources, applications and reporting mediums.
- Provide asset management related data and analysis for divisional requirements.
- Research best practices and keeps up to date on new technologies and data initiatives.
- Provide information and analysis related to divisional operations.
- Perform other related duties
Your education and qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree (i.e. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering or related field) or an approved equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Four (4) years of progressive experience in advanced data analytics, and interpretation of data and statistical modelling programs such as R, Python, SQL, SAS, SPSS, and/or other equivalent tools.
- Previous experience leveraging data analytics and data-driven insights for the purposes of informing management decision making and business direction.
- A consistent track record of informing and realizing efficiencies and improvement through innovation and project delivery.
- Experience in the use of Github or other similar repositories and the integration of open-source programming and tools to meet a given need.
- Experience with databases, ETL, and data warehousing including organizing, compiling, manipulating, analyzing and summarizing large datasets.
- Experience working with GIS (Geographic Information System) / GLI (Geospatial and Location Intelligence), cartography and mapping, and business intelligence tools/platforms such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Experience in data collection, writing summaries, and visualizing data.
- Experience with conducting research, analyzing complex issues and making recommendations based on sound judgement.
- Applied knowledge of machine learning including supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, pattern recognition, artificial neural networks, and deep learning.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills, together with an ability to take initiative, multi-task and work under time constraints
- Excellent oral and written ability to communicate effectively with other professionals and all levels within the organization, and the ability to present research findings effectively to varying audiences.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively, and professionally with fellow employees at all levels, consultants and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and manage effective partnerships and agreements with a wide variety of community/business groups, agencies, associations and civic departments.
- Knowledge of municipal parks and open space operations is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access);
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Illustrator (or equivalent) is an asset.
Conditions of employment:
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License. The successful applicant is required to provide a vehicle for transportation while on City business, subject to the terms and conditions of the City Transportation Policy.
- Ability to travel outside of Province/Country as required.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.