- Posted by MG UG
- On November 30, 2019
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg
As a Technologist within the Technology Services Branch, the Technologist 1 works under the direction of senior staff. This position participates in plan review, processes and recommends approval of permits servicing applications and related plans; prepares estimates for various projects and reports. Conducts studies, performs all survey duties to provide technical information; performs advanced drafting and related calculations for construction drawings, specifications, records, budgets and meetings; assists in design duties for construction projects and budgets; assists in contract administration for ongoing construction; conducts routine inspections to determine condition of service or compliance of workmanship to specifications or by-laws; updates records, does technical/clerical work to record the plant inventory and edits infrastructure databases on Public Works inventory management systems such as the current Geographic Information System (G.I.S.).
As the Technologist 1 you will:
- Participate in plan review, process and recommend approval of permits or servicing applications and related plans in accordance with pertinent by-laws.
- Perform advanced drafting work and related calculations for a variety of standard working drawings by using AutoCAD Civil 3D and various drafting media and become familiar with all technological changes in equipment and procedures as directed.
- Update records and carryout routine technical/clerical work to record the plant inventory utilizing current available computer software, documents and edits infrastructure databases on Public Works inventory management systems such as the current Geographic Information System (G.I.S.).
- Conduct inspections by visual or mechanical means to determine condition of services or compliance of workmanship to specifications, initiates and interprets material tests and results for quality control of construction materials and initiates/interprets visual/mechanical inspections of above and below ground inventory for construction ratings/programs utilizing established engineering principals in such assessments.
- Perform all survey duties to provide technical information and becomes familiar with all technological changes in equipment and procedures.
- Undertake design projects using accepted Civil Engineering methods and practices to ensure adherence to City standards for a variety of construction projects, local improvements, capital and current projects and drainage.
- Participate in contract administration by processing project documents for ongoing construction.
- Prepare estimates by calculating quantities and determines estimated costs for various projects and reports including the data entry and utilization of established programs.
- Assist senior Technologists in the development of quality standards, maintenance techniques and program development.
- Be the front line contact representing Engineering Division for approach/plan approvals.
- Provides support for snow clearing and flood operations.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the classification.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Civil Engineering Technology Diploma in the Municipal stream from a recognized school of technology. Completion of an alternative discipline stream combined with directly related experience may be considered.
- Experience conducting the surveying, drafting, and inspections of municipal infrastructure.
- Proficiency in the use and care of total station survey and GPS equipment.
- Advanced skill in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Advanced skill in Microsoft office software. (Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Ability to lead and mentor staff.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand, execute and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to interpret plan specifications and street by-laws.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precaution policies and regulations with the ability to adhere to and enforce safety rules and policies.
- Successful completion of the Geographic Information Systems Technology Advanced Diploma would be considered an asset.
- Experience and proficiency in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) would be considered an asset.
Conditions of employment:
- Eligible for membership in Certified Technicians & Technologists Association of Manitoba (C.T.T.A.M.)
- Possess and maintain valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s Licence.
- Able to work shift work, overtime, or standby time including weekends and evenings as required.
- Physically able to perform the duties of the job, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Working outdoors in potentially extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and move objects up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand and walk for prolonged periods and over uneven terrain snow and ice for extended periods.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.