- Posted by MG UG
- On December 4, 2017
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg
Under the general direction of the Traffic Signals Asset Engineer, The Transportation Asset and Data Scientist is responsible for large scale and targeted statistical, geographic, data analysis of transportation data within the traffic signal branch and transportation division. This position derives actionable insights from transportation related data sets including road network incident and slow down information, traffic flow and count data, road network asset and performance data, operational and financial data, and other data sources to identify trends, operational improvements and efficiencies, and support capital and operating business case development, prioritization and investment.
As the Transportation Asset and Data Scientist you will:
- Provides departmental data analysis and reporting.
- Lead the development, implementation, and integration of new and existing data sources, applications, and reporting mediums.
- Provide asset management related data and analysis for divisional requirements.
- Research best practices and keep up to date on new technologies and data initiatives.
- Provide information and analysis related to divisional operations.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree (i.e. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering or related field) or an approved equivalent combination of education and experience. An advanced degree is preferred and may be substituted, on a year for year basis, for all but two years of required experience.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience in advanced data analytics, and interpretation of data and statistical modeling using R, Python, SQL, SAS, SPSS, and/or other equivalent tools.
- A consistent track record of informing and realizing efficiencies and improvement through innovation and project delivery.
- Experience in the use of Github or other similar repositories and the integration of open-source programming and tools to meet a given need.
- Ability and experience with databases, ETL, and data warehousing including organizing, compiling, manipulating, analyzing and summarizing large datasets.
- Ability with GIS (Geographic Information System) / GLI (Geospatial and Location Intelligence), cartography and mapping, and business intelligence tools/plaftorms such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Ability in data collection, writing summaries, and visualizing data.
- Able to conduct research, analyze complex issues and make recommendations based on sound judgement.
- Applied knowledge of machine learning including supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, pattern recognition, artificial neural networks, and deep learning.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills, together with an ability to take initiative, multi-task and work under time constraints
- Excellent oral and written ability to communicate effectively with other professionals and all levels within the organization, and the ability to present research findings effectively to varying audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively, and professionally with fellow employees at all levels, consultants and external stakeholders and able to establish and manage effective partnerships and agreements with a wide variety of community/business groups, agencies, associations and civic departments
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of transportation engineering and transportation planning theory and principles is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access);
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Illustrator (or equivalent) is an asset.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume AND/OR Application Form (Required).
*Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.*
If you do NOT have access to a computer/email, please apply, including all documentation listed above, to: Staffing Branch, HR Services, Main Floor – 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB by 4:30 P.M., Monday, December 18, 2017.
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $2,782.77 to $3,737.83 bi-weekly.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.