Municipal and Northern Relations
AS3 Assessment Officer 3 (Underfilled at AS2 Assessment Officer 2)
Municipal and Northern Relations
Assessment Services, Municipal Governance and Advisory Services
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 42258
Salary(s): AS3 $55,983.00 – $67,066.00 per year
Closing Date: March 31, 2024
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect until exhausted.
Please note, Assessment Officers will be hired at the Assessment Officer 2 (AS2) level ($48,210 – $57,004) unless the incumbent completed a Certificate in Real Property Assessment, IAAO designation or equivalent and have experience valuing and/or inspecting a wide range of residential, farm, and/or small to medium sized commercial buildings. Upon successful certification, incumbents are eligible for appointment to the AS3 Classification.
The Department of Municipal and Northern Relations is seeking highly motivated individuals to fill multiple Assessment Officer positions, located in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba.
Are you looking for a career that combines the outdoors, working with people, travel to Manitoba communities and in-office work, why not explore a career as an Assessment Officer? If you have a background or interest in building construction, industrial sales/financing, agriculture, land survey systems, municipal government, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), real estate or appraisal, we encourage you to consider this new career opportunity. Assessment Officers are provided on-the-job training and financial assistance to complete required education.
Government of Manitoba employee are eligible for Learning and Development Programs and access to a comprehensive Benefit Package which includes: paid vacation, extended health, health spending, dental, drug, vision, long term disability; Supportive Employment Program, maternity and parental leave, and a defined Retirement and Pension Plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Localjobshop.ca users are encouraged to refer to the Government of Manitoba website https://www.gov.mb.ca/govjobs/ for details on how to apply for this position. To be considered for this competition you must submit an application form and your resume. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services at the number or email provided under the “Apply Now” section to request a copy of the application form.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have full stage class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s License
- Must be able to travel by ground and air in Manitoba including overnight stays
- Must be able to work overtime as required
- Must be able to complete the certificate in Real Property Assessment through University of British Columbia or equivalent within 3 years (employer support for associated costs is available)
- High school Diploma or GED. Post-Secondary Education in a relevant field such as business administration, agriculture, geospatial systems, finance, valuation, appraisal, agriculture, or construction is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in agriculture, building construction, industrial sales, financing, land survey systems, municipal government, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), real estate or appraisal.
- Experience working with the public navigating complex and sensitive situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Strong mathematical aptitude.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to conduct valuations and make decisions in ambiguous and dynamic situations.
- Excellent verbal communication skills to articulate ideas and conduct presentations to various stakeholders.
- Strong written communication skills to communicate simple and complex information to different stakeholders with various level of understanding.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to prioritize competing and multiple demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with various stakeholders.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent software.
- Knowledge of legislation, policies, and procedures related to property assessment.
- AS3 Only: Experience preparing and presenting evidence at assessment appeal hearings.
- AS3 Only: Experience verifying real estate sales.
This developmental opportunity will allow you to learn the necessary skills to be an Assessment Officer while completing the required education and training. As an Assessment Officer you will:
• Inspect residential, farm and commercial property.
• Record land and building characteristics for valuation, classification and assignment of liability to taxation.
• Update property and ownership characteristics using computer software and determine value, class and liability.
• Attending boards of revision and defending assessments.
In addition, you may respond to assessment enquiries from the public and municipal government councils, prepare and present defense of residential and non-residential assessments at Boards of Revision and Municipal Board hearings.
To be considered for this competition you must submit an application form and your resume. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services at the number or email provided under the “Apply Now” section to request a copy of the application form.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Localjobshop.ca users are encouraged to refer to the Government of Manitoba website https://www.gov.mb.ca/govjobs/ for details on how to apply for this position.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org