Website Oceans North
Position: Marine Geographer
Location: Oceans North has offices in Halifax, NS, Ottawa, ON, and Winnipeg, MB (preferred for
this position). Travel may be required.
Overview: Oceans North is an environmental charity that supports marine conservation and
ocean-climate action in partnership with Indigenous and coastal communities across Canada,
Western Greenland, and the High Seas.
We love maps at Oceans North and believe they are foundational to our work.
We are currently seeking a Marine Geographer to join our team of dedicated ocean and climate
advocates. The ideal candidate is well-organized, meticulous about the quality of their work, highly
attuned to sensitivities around data, and possesses a keen eye for design.
The successful applicant will work as part of Oceans North’s strategic communications and
technical team, reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Operations.
• Serve as lead GIS analyst for the organization
• Manage the organization’s large geospatial database and seek out new and updated data
• Conduct geospatial analysis as required to support the organization’s campaigns and
• Work closely with the Communications Team to create maps and other visuals as needed
for the print, website, and social media
• Draft relevant blogs and other communication products
• Work collaboratively internally and with external partners to support campaign goals and
projects with geospatial analysis and mapping products
Skills & Competencies:
• Knowledge of ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap is essential, knowledge of ArcGIS Online and other ESRI
GIS products an asset.
• Knowledge of spatial analysis principles and cartography, with the ability to communicate
complex datasets clearly and in visually pleasing ways.
• Knowledge of oceanography, marine protected areas, and Indigenous and coastal
• Background in graphic design considered a strong asset but not required.
• Fluency in French, Greenlandic, or any dialect of Inuktitut a plus
Education & Experience:
• Degree in geography, GIS, marine sciences, or other relevant studies or Diploma in
Geomatics and GIS
• At least 2-4 years working experience in GIS and cartography
• $68,000-$75,000, plus benefits
This is a priority hire and candidates will be selected for interviews on a rolling basis until the
position is filled.
Applicants can find more information about Oceans North at: www.oceansnorth.org
If interested, please email resume to Debbie Bernhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com